Visit Concrete.Com

Visit Concrete.Com | Advertising | Contact Us | Concrete Calculators

Topic Options
#12524 - 06/24/08 08:09 PM Rebar vs. Wire Mesh
jellis2 Offline

We are in the middle of this concrete mess. We have gotten 5 bids and all of them are different. Some are very specific and some are not. The biggest is the question of whether or not to get rebar over wire mesh...especially because of the price difference. Is wire mesh just as good as rebar if it done correctly? Should they dowel into the foundation and what about cassions? Any help would be great.

#12526 - 06/24/08 10:48 PM Re: Rebar vs. Wire Mesh [Re: jellis2]
rigasconcon Offline

Loc: houston texas
where are you located, what are the soil conditions?

IMO rebar is better then wire, generally wire is not a "structural" reinforcement (same for fiber)

as for dowels into the foundation, here in houston i would say NEVER but soil conditions vary. what i have seen here is the soil under a driveway will give allowing the driveway to move ever so slightly which is enough to cause cracks because of the dowels. i have talked to a couple people up north who suggest doweling due to "freeze thaw" conditions.

#12531 - 06/26/08 12:35 AM Re: Rebar vs. Wire Mesh [Re: rigasconcon]
jellis2 Offline

We are in Denver, Co and I am not sure of the soil conditions. We are pouring a stamped patio about 10' by 13'. They tore up the concrete today and there are dowels already in the foundation. They also ripped out rebar that was already there.

#12534 - 06/26/08 10:36 AM Re: Rebar vs. Wire Mesh [Re: jellis2]
rigasconcon Offline

Loc: houston texas
i would suggest just mesh then if it is only a patio. UNLESS you are covering it with a structure. place the mesh towards the top of the pour to help fight shrinkage cracking on the surface.

#12537 - 06/26/08 05:57 PM Re: Rebar vs. Wire Mesh [Re: jellis2]
CR2 Offline

Loc: New York
When concrete is put against a foundation, without a concrete ledge or dowels,and disregarding of soils conditions or prep work done,it always sinks towards the foundation,sooner or later, the dowels are there for a good reason,keep them, and remember, wire does not replace rebar,properly installed rebar reinforcement cannot be replaced with wire or fibers and have the same results.
Good Luck!

#12545 - 06/27/08 10:45 AM Re: Rebar vs. Wire Mesh [Re: CR2]
Varmicon QA Offline

Loc: TX
I am not a wire mesh fan but if you go that route...Make sure the mesh gets into the concrete. I dont know how many times ive seen the WWF (wire mesh) get trampled on and left on the ground and can't be pulled back up. If the WWF ends up at the bottom of your slab then there was no point in using it at all...Good luck!