Visit Concrete.Com

Visit Concrete.Com | Advertising | Contact Us | Concrete Calculators

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12609 - 07/16/08 03:13 PM To Tar or Not to Tar?????
chucky Offline

Hi....I'm a do-it-yourselfer (really a do it myselfer)....I live in this condo with a poured concrete foundation...The basement isnt that damp but I would still like to moisture proof it from the outside....I wasn thinking of digging out from the foundation and going down a few feet and slapping tar on walls...any suggestions of instructions would be appreciated...Thanks, chucky

#12615 - 07/16/08 07:51 PM Re: To Tar or Not to Tar????? [Re: chucky]
CR2 Offline

Loc: New York
Foundation should be already waterproofed(tar),specially if is a full basement(living space), but if you want to improve it, you have to do it the right way,dig all the way down to the top of the footer and waterproof from there up,if you really want to go crazy,do the Delta MS system,you won't regret it.
Good Luck!

#12616 - 07/16/08 10:32 PM Re: To Tar or Not to Tar????? [Re: CR2]
chucky Offline

Thanks!!!!!!!

#12706 - 08/07/08 10:20 PM Re: To Tar or Not to Tar????? [Re: chucky]
tesla-was-right Offline

Do about anything except "tar"
Tar is not waterPROOFING--it is DAMP-proofing. Is is a poor damp-proofer.
Look at real waterproofing options that last at least as long as your mortgage.
The airgap technology is good--especially with a capillary crystalline reactive negative side waterPROOFING such as www.xypex or www.kryton.com

#12932 - 09/19/08 03:34 AM Re: To Tar or Not to Tar????? [Re: tesla-was-right]
tscsekara Offline

In my opinion, the rear side ( external ) of any damp wall shall be exposed, removed old plaster , carried out re- plastering adding water proofing compound with one layer of chicken mesh , after considerable curing and allowing to dry apply two coats of bitumen. This will solve the problem.

#12946 - 09/22/08 11:20 AM Re: To Tar or Not to Tar????? [Re: tscsekara]
tesla-was-right Offline

"This will solve the problem."
Yes--if done right, this will resist some low pressure water for a while.
My post stands with the addition of the following observations.
Add to the list of insufficient properties of tar the following:
Does not last as long as the need for it to last.
off-gassing
leaching into the soil
at the temperature it is expected to perform (below grade) it is brittle and cracks even if the concrete does not
It has NO ability to stop water under pressure and/or from the negative side--the subject of the original poster's question.
In light of more inteligent products why would an informed person choose tar?

#12953 - 09/22/08 08:16 PM Re: To Tar or Not to Tar????? [Re: tesla-was-right]
CR2 Offline

One question, do you have any construction experience or are you reading about the topic and writing it here? FYI, parging and tar is the most common product for waterproofing foundations,(yes, waterproofing, the term damproofing doesn't even exist) and it happens to be just because of its price and it does work,not saying that the new products are not better, but their price is out of the park, when done right tar waterproofing does work well, the leaching and off-gassing arguments are BS, who cares.

#12957 - 09/24/08 12:39 AM Re: To Tar or Not to Tar????? [Re: CR2]
tesla-was-right Offline

One question, do you have any construction experience or are you reading about the topic and writing it here?/////Funny--33 years in the field. four years in the lab. ACI certified Master Certification in Concrete repair amoungt others.
FYI, parging and tar is the most common product for waterproofing foundations,(yes, waterproofing, the term damproofing doesn't even exist) and it happens to be just because of its price and it does work,not saying that the new products are not better, but their price is out of the park, when done right tar waterproofing does work well, the leaching and off-gassing arguments ////FYI it is the most common mistake--only in residential . FYI it is in 64 countries and has been used since 1948. _-Hardly "NEW" FYI, I have used it on several nuke plants worldwide. Educate yourself and you might be surprised at the fact that, just because many are uninformed does not mean you have to remain so.
BS, who cares. ////Who cares??? No idiots

#12960 - 09/24/08 08:12 PM Re: To Tar or Not to Tar????? [Re: tesla-was-right]
CR2 Offline

Doing what in the field?, lab people most of the time get in the jobs that are price inflated and where our money pays for people like you, just wake up and accept reality,the idea that tar waterproofing is just for residential is completely WRONG,I would feel bad saying that I have 33 years in the field and showing so much ignorance; just get out of the lab bubble and land on the field, the field of doing concrete, stone, block, brick,decorative concrete, tile and stucco,the same field that many like me have been working on for many years( not so many like you, though)I have nothing against lab technicians and desk guys,neither new industry technologies and products; but in between lab guys and field guys, we rule.By the way, what is the hardly new thing you've use in so many nuke plants arround the world(just curious, do you think you impressed me? WRONG again).
Thank you for the idiot compliment, this is the end of the argument,because if we argue it will be my fault.
Regards!

#12961 - 09/24/08 11:46 PM Re: To Tar or Not to Tar????? [Re: CR2]
tesla-was-right Offline

Having been a builder for 33 years myself I do respect what you do CR2.
I went back to school and finished my phd and am bringing some of my inventions into the market--not only in the US.
I have used the capillary crystalline reactive in numerous settings --not only in the US but in Singapore, Ukraine,UK,etc.
I worked everytime I used it and I could bore you in a hurry with the stories.
I realize as a block layer you do not have the full impact of the warranty as I did as the general.
Look at it with an open mind (not open at the bottom) and I think an objective person will see the benefit.
I do not forget the lessons I learned in the trenches and hope those lessons continue to make me a better R&D person.
FYI--I am not trying to impress you. I always said,"The epitome of safety is a profound thought in the mind of a fool." I do not feel like making a deposit where there is no interest.
"Great spirits will always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >