Visit Concrete.Com

Visit Concrete.Com | Advertising | Contact Us | Concrete Calculators

Topic Options
#14032 - 01/16/10 06:14 PM Garage Floor Always Wet
bigfoot17 Offline

We had a new attached garage added to our house.The concrete guy poured the floor as a slab over footings.He also poored the floor level with no pitch for drainage.We waited for the floor to cure and then stained the floor.Now the floor is always wet.I installed a furnace to keep the garage at 50 degrees.All that does is melt the snow and ice and create bigger puddles.Even in the summer the floor was wet with condensation.The walls are insulated and have vapor barrier and finished drywall.
Do I need to have someone grind a pitch in the floor?Or would one of those poured stone(Nature Stone)finishes work to build a pitch in the floor?

#14050 - 01/24/10 10:35 PM Re: Garage Floor Always Wet [Re: bigfoot17]
bigfoot17 Offline

What ,no takers?

#14052 - 01/25/10 02:16 PM Re: Garage Floor Always Wet [Re: bigfoot17]
concrete king Offline

Loc: wisconsin
In short your floor is sweating,... when warm + cold meet. Lack of a vapor barrier in a heated area will cause this as well. So the floor is stained + then sealed? Around here you can not do a flat floor, it has to be pitch to the overhead doors or a drain. Are you having any issues with the sealer delaminating?

#14061 - 01/28/10 10:26 PM Re: Garage Floor Always Wet [Re: concrete king]
bigfoot17 Offline

I don't think that sweating is the issue,now.I think that because the floor has no pitch,it can not drain right.No delamination of the sealer.This floor should have been pitched,but the guy that did the job said he never does that.I was thinking of getting a quote to have the floor ground to a pitch or have a layer poured over this floor to include a pitch.
I am thinking that the sealer/stain was a bad idea also.

Edited by bigfoot17 (01/28/10 10:28 PM)